Thursday, May 26, 2011

TESOL and Other Ponderings

So, as many of you already know (hopefully), I am starting out with teaching English for the first six weeks. I am doing this to fulfill my Practicum in order to earn my TESOL certificate by the time graduation rolls around. :D This is my first time teaching...ever. The first lesson I gave was nerve wracking, but I survived and have adjusted quite well. There are obvious areas of improvement, but overall, for a beginner, I believe I am doing well. My students seem to enjoy it and I thoroughly enjoy teaching. However, I am still unsure if I would want to do this full-time or not. Perhaps part-time teacher and part time...something else? haha I am trusting that God will put the pieces together over time.

Aside from teaching, I am getting to know a lot of the full time staff here fairly well. I am taking any opportunity I can to learn about life as a missionary from people on the field. It is a great opportunity for me, as well as my time at Simpson!

My old roommate, Becky, moved out and is now living with one of her friends. I now have a new roommate, Brooke, who is also a short-termer, doing sports ministry. However, Brooke is going through some hard times and is very homesick (to the point where she is already wanting to go home). Please keep her and her family in your prayers even though I do not feel it is my place to share the details.

One last update:
my placement for the outreaches during the last six weeks have been finalized! Fist I will be on a construction team helping to build a playground. Then, I will be on a trekking team that walks from village to village to help at various churches. Lastly, I will be on the river team, which sounds like a Moldovan version of Conquest. We, as a team, build a raft and float down the river for over a week. no showers. legit camping. I can't wait!

Hope everyone is having a blessed day and week! 
Thank you very much!
MulÅ£umesc foarte mult! 

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update Christina! Sounds like everything is going well and that you are adapting to Moldovan life well too!! <3

    ReplyDelete