Friday, May 13, 2011

I'm finally here!

Yesterday I landed in Moldova around noon Moldova time and was quickly introduced to so many people here at the OM base that I still cannot remember all of their names. I was here for little less than three hours before I was invited to a wedding tomorrow. Everyone here seems very hospitable and welcoming. Naturally, being ten hours ahead I am undergoing jet lag, but it isn't as bad as I was expecting. I went into the city today with my roommate, Becky. Cisinau is a beautiful city and more like LA than I was expecting. Minus the fact that most people speak Romanian and proxemics tends to be a lot closer than I am used to, it is not much different. Claudia, my supervisor, has been very helpful so far in helping me adjust and prep for teaching. I am lucky to be working with her. I cannot wait to see what the rest of my time here will be like :D

A couple cultural differences that I have learned:

1. there is a "superstition" that if you keep a window open in a moving vehicle the wind will make you sick. Since there is no AC on the buses it makes it very warm during the summer.
2. Whistling indoors is said to summon evil spirits.

Thank you everyone for your continued prayer and support!
I guess that there is nothing left to say but "buna ziua" (good day)!

No comments:

Post a Comment